Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compile Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwildtrout

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
I created a time reporting application on my home computer for use in our office. Everything works as it should. I compiled the code with no errors on the home computer. I then split the database & created front & back end applications on the home computer.

When I install the front & back end on an NT network, I keep getting "Compile Error Can't find Project or Library". Is there something more that I have to do to move the application to the network? Why do errors occur when everything works fine on the home system?

Check your references. You may have specified a reference on your home computer that does not exist (or is in a different location) in your office computer.

[shadeshappy] Cruising the Information Superhighway
[sub] (your mileage may vary)[/sub]

I'm not sure what you mean by references.

Would this problem be avoided if I compiled the code, split the database & creat the FE/BE on the NT Network?

Open a module and choose Tools | References. You'll see a list of possible references that let you access non-Access (no pun intended) objects. Some of the references may have their checkboxes checked at the top of the list. These are reference libraries that you are currently using. For example, if you use ActiveX in your forms you will have the ActiveX library as a reference. Likewise, if you are doing anything with an Excel workbook or Word document using module coding you'll need the Excel or Word reference libraries.

If the location of the reference libraries is different from one computer to another you may get the error that you mentioned. If you split the database into a front-end and a back-end and compile the front end you may avoid some of these problems, but only if you are never going to change the front-end coding on your office computer.

[shadeshappy] Cruising the Information Superhighway
[sub] (your mileage may vary)[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back