Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compile elsewhere, run on Unix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilgrant

MIS
May 18, 2006
US
I need some help. I work with a special tool-set that is written in COBOL, and we have a client in need of that tool-set that has a Unix (Solaris 2.8) system. The Unix box does not have a COBOL compiler that we can use. We have the ability to combile our modules using MFCOBOL on our workstations. The question I have is, after having compiled the modules on our workstations, can we move the DLL's and executables to the Unix system and then execute them, or is this just impossible to do?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

The fact that you're talking about DLLs implies you're using Windows. In general executables are platform/OS specific. you might get away with very similar systems but Windows/Solaris, sorry, not a chance.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

Unless you run them under some kind of emulator, like WINE perhaps?

Annihilannic.

MF Cobol (at least it used to) allows you to compile your programs into P-code, which is interpreted at runtime. You can use this solution, but the P-code is considerably slower than code compiled and linked on Unix itself. Plus, if you are using anything like Oracle Pro*COBOL or some other embedded SQL tool, P-code may not work properly.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Oh, forgot to mention. You also need the MF Runtime library for Unix on the deployment platform.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back