Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compilation error on Debian: undefined reference to 'main'

Status
Not open for further replies.

luma1

Technical User
Feb 3, 2005
IT
We are compiling Togl 1.6 on Debian. We solved all problems about included libraries but when we type 'make' the compiler shows us this error:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x18): In function `_start':
../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S:98: undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It seems as a Makefile problem but we aren't sure.
Do someone tell us anything about this error? Is it really a compiler error or anything else?

It simply means there isn't a main() function in any of the source files you compiled.

I'm guessing this is the thing you're referring to
Togl (by itself) doesn't have a main(), since it is a library. The main() resides in your code which wants to make use of that library.

--

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! You are right, we had an example .c file of Togl 1.6 version downloaded from without a main function!!!
Just another question: Is Togl compatible also with itcl 2.1 or 3.1 classes as well as tcl/tk?
Thank you very much.

No idea - what do the readme.txt files and the web page say about compatibility?

--

The webpage and readme file says that Togl was created for tcl/tk and now can support tcl/tk 8.3 version (Togl 1.6).
However this version of Tcl/Tk was developed after itcl creation (itcl 2.1 pack contains tcl/tk 7.5 yet). So we thought that there was no problem but now we aren't sure of this anymore...
If Togl isn't compatible do you know some other free package that we can use for this work?
Thanks a lot for your attention and excuse me for my bad english!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back