Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatible Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmanleygen

Programmer
Apr 8, 2004
US

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a server for home/small business. I have been looking at Compaq Proliant's and I'm trying to find out how I can decide if a part is compatible or not with one.

If I'm trying to match CPU, RAM, Hard drives, what are the key specifications that are required to be compatible?

For example a ProLiant ML370 with a P III 800 Mhz CPU, how could I find out what other type of CPU can be installed?

If anybody could lead me to some source of information in this area that would be really appreciated.

Thank you,
Derry Manley

Best bet would be maintenance and service guides which are on the Compaq site.

Easy enough to find 2nd CPU's, VRM's etc. on eBay once you have the part number.
Make sure you update the firmware before doing anything else, it saves a lot of problems.

As to hard drives it is best to get true Compaq ones rather than compatible ones in Compaq caddies. The compatible ones don't give you the management and pre-emptive warnings that the Cpq ones do when used with the correct Cpq software.

As to RAM easiest way is to look up the server on Crucial or Kingston and get what they recommend.

Neill

Memory you can look up either at the Kingston or Crucial sites where both have comprehensive information on memory for every model ProLiant.

Second processors need to be identical to the current processor. However, if you want a performance boost, the ML370 G1 only went to 1GHz: you'll be wasting time swapping from an 800MHz to a 1GHz as the performace boost will be negligable.

All the WW QuickSpec including retired products can be found here:

Regards: tf1

Keep your ram compaq server ram, less trouble that way. It's cheap on ebay.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back