Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatibilty between backup software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

george992

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
May be is a stupid question. I really don't know details on any backup software.

Said I have a DLT drive (tapes 40/80Gb) with ArcServe. Could I read a DLT tape recorded with any other BackUp software (Legato, Veritas, for example) ??

Does every BackUp software implements a different mechanism to read/write a tape? Is there a standard in the industry regarding this? Is DLT techology that standard?

Thanks in advance.

Every software is different - yes. You could read/write the physical tape on different DLT manufacturers, but you'll need ArcServe to read ArcServe tapes, Veritas to read Veritas tapes, etc...

Bill.

Sometimes you got some compatibility, between some backup software.

Ie. ARCserve can read tapes from Backup Exec, but only by session, means that you cannot pull out one file for restore.

Ivan

Backup Exec will restore data from Arcserve tapes, but not databases, the NT registry, interleaved, compressed or encrypted files.

my view,

arcserve and backup exec will restore each others data as long as software compression is not set at time of backup

Ta <<< Experience shows that no amount of effort can alter reality >>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back