Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatibility Mode question. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctau

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2000
US
My computer has entered into compatibility mode. When I checked the reason I found out that I had warnings on both my primary and secondary hard drive controllers. Earlier in the week I did a drive image from this computer and upon restarting my computer with its original drive I got an error message that said something to the effect that I was trying to access drives that were in 32 bit mode. Both of the harddrives that I had were formated for fat16. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe how to tell WIN98 that the drive is using Fat16. Only the original harddrive is currently in the computer.

What type of warnings other than the &quot;Compatibility Mode&quot; message did you get, if any. If it said Master Boot Record modified I would look for a virus. If it points out a Dos mode driver I would look in the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file for any SCSI / CDROM drivers or the like.<br>
<br>
If there aren't any messages like this, search the regsitry for &quot;NOIDE&quot;, without the quotes of course. Windows will set this key if it fails to enumerate a PCI hard drive controller during boot. If the key is found, delete it and reboot.<br>
<br>
If none of this helps, what drive imaging software were you using and in what mode...Dos realmode, Dos box, or Windows GUI?<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back