Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatability with SQL Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmctiernan

Technical User
Jul 28, 2008
IE
Hi All,
I am in the process of developing a database on SQL Server 2005 and I am wondering if there are any guidelines I will need to follow in order to ensure that the resulting database will attach and run on SQL Server 2000.

I work for a small engineering company and I do some small software projects as a means of learning. SQL Server 2005 is what I use for database development at home however at my office where the database will run, we run SQL Server 2000 as this is the backend to our ERP system so upgrading this is not really an option for me.

Any guidelines or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Declan.

One way to be sure is to set the compatibilty level on the 2005 side to 2000. You lose the 2005 features but you know it will port over.

To TysonLPrice: Do you know that this will work? My understanding was that if a database is created at 2005 there is no way of attaching it to 2000.

To Declan: I think I would want to try this before doing too much work on it.

I'm not a DBA, application programmer, but in my shop when we went to 2005 the way some of the joins were written were failing. The DBAs set the compatibility to 2000 as a short term solution. I found this out when trying to use some of the new 2005 features on those databases and they didn't work.

I believe I am correct that 2005 can be set to 2000 compatibility. The gurus here can chime in if I am wrong.

tyson,

It would probably help other viewers if you posted some samples of the joins that FAILED as it may help others to improve their code.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back