Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatability Access 2000/2000 - references

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretto99

Technical User
Mar 6, 2002
AU
Hi there. Ive posted this elsewhere but was wondering whether anyone else had some input on this

I have designed an access database using Access 2000 and VBA and in a Windows 98 environment. It is to be used (single user at a time) on computers running Windows 98 and 2000 and above, and Access 2000 and Access 2002.

I have two compatability problems:

1. The database opens fine when I run it on a machine running Windows XP or windows ME with Access 2000, but then when I try to open this same database on a machine with Windows 98 it is not happy, and as far as I can see 'corrupts' the installation of Access 2000 on that machine.

2. The database will not run in Access 2002. I have isolated this problem down to the fact that if I go to Tools>References in the visual basic editor of the Access 2002 machine it says that (I think) Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2) or something like that is missing. I then uncheck it and choose another Common Controls and it works just fine on the Access 2002 machine. So I guess it has something to do with the libraries being "lost" across versions. I think something similar is happening when I move down in windows versions...

Can anyone advise me how I make sure that the libraries are "transported" with my database to make the database openable on all machines, up and down versions, whilst at the same time not messing up the installation of Access on any users machine? I am not able to get onto all the machines of users to 'set it up' as I dont know who the users will be

Many thanks for your help.
Bretto

Addressing item #2:
How have you got the database configured. As a single file with local tables or as two files with a front end and back end? When you set references on the database it remembers the location of the libraries on your computer so if someone else opens the same database it will look in that location for that library. You could:

1) Load and register the libraries on each machine.
2) Split the databases into a front and back end. The front end would reside on each PC and the user would select the appropriate library, which would not then be changed.
3) Build a setup file with a front end on and back end. All users would then have the libraries registered.

-------------------------------------
scking@arinc.com
Try to resolve problems independently
Then seek help among peers or experts
But TEST recommended solutions
-------------------------------------

Many thanks for this scking. The database is a single file with local tables.

If I had to go with your first suggestion, loading and registering the libraries on each machine, could I create an exe file to do this? If so, could you recommend how? Finally, would this mess up the users original installation of the file?

many thanks
Bretto

If you have the developer addition use the packager to create a setup "disk". Access will copy and install the proper references used in the database. Note that the packager is very basic and doesn't allow having the tables database and the runtime set at installation. I usually have users install the application with a dummy training local database and then have them through a command button relink to the correct tables elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back