Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing two tables for updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

john9

Programmer
May 31, 2002
US
Hello,

What is the best way to compare the columns in two tables for update?
I have two tables containing the same column names and order running under Oracle 9i. Each table resides in separate schemas. In this situation I cannot use the Data Guard facility available under Oracle 9i.

When the primary table is updated (referenced as "dbo.ANTICIPATEDSETTLEMENT M") I want to compare the columns in this table to my alternate table (referenced as "dbo.ANTICIPATEDSETTLEMENT R") and update the columns that was changed. Here is the code:

UPDATE dbo.ANTICIPATEDSETTLEMENT R

IF R.ACTIONTYPE != M.ACTIONTYPE
THEN
SET R.ACTIONTYPE = M.ACTIONTYPE
ENDIF

IF R.SETTLEMENTTYPE != M.SETTLEMENTTYPE
THEN
SET R.SETTLEMENTTYPE = M.SETTLEMENTTYPE
ENDIF

IF R.APPLICABLEREVENUECODES != M.APPLICABLEREVENUECODES
THEN
SET R.APPLICABLEREVENUECODES = M.APPLICABLEREVENUECODES
ENDIF

(SELECT dbo.ANTICIPATEDSETTLEMENT M
WHERE R.ANTICIPATEDSETTLEMENT_PK = M.ANTICIPATEDSETTLEMENT_PK);

I would appreciate if someone can help.

Regards

It might be easiest to simply assume that all three columns will need to be updated. I think I would probably create a trigger that would maintain the secondary table in synch with the first. That way, whenever you insert/update/delete rows in the primary table, the changes propagate to the secondary table.

Another approach (if the secondary table is a subset of the primary table) would be to create a synonym or view on the primary table that would be visible to the secondary table's schema.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back