Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing two CFM files

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsw1971

Programmer
Jun 21, 2001
US
Is there an easy way to compare two CFM files? I have a development file and a production file - I've made significant changes to the development file and I just want to compare the two.

I can't open a second copy of ColdFusion and the split screen function only splits one document. Is there any kind of tool that exists that can compare content?

thanks

Yeah it exists !
It's Visual SourceSafe from microsoft.
It keeps the history of every files and it shows u the difference of content of any files

Visual SourceSafe (VSS) works, but it's expensive.

Get a copy of TextPad. It's shareware. It has no evaluation time limit. But, it's so cheap (US$27), that I bought it. I use it all the time. It has a handy file comparison capability that produces output similar to UNIX's diff. It show a few context lines surrounding the changes. It shows the before and after versions. Not quite as slick as VSS's display, but you can save it as a file.

TextPad can also search the files in an entire directory or directory tree for the text you specify. You can specify the text using regular expressions. Very handy! In fact, 'Find', 'Find & Replace', and 'Find in Files' can all use regular expressions. I routinely have several files open at the same time in TextPad. You can have multiple instances of TextPad running, or you can configure it to alway load a file into the single running instance.

TextPad also has CF syntax highlighting.

The only time I use CF Studio is to use the debugger, which is pretty buggy itself! You can get TextPad from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back