Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing old data (.xls) to current data (BO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw027

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
I need to look for changes in data to show progression through projects. I have a report that I run in BO that basically gives me a current snapshot of all projects and their milestone dates..

I save a copy to excel on a weekly basis and then need to compare for progression / stagnation of projects.

example old
IDCommon Mile 1 Mile 2 complete
1 may June July
2 may June
3 April
5 Feb April

example current
IDCommon Mile 1 Mile 2 complete
2 may June
3 April May
5 Feb April
7 July

Reports I would need are
Projects that are new since last pull.. #7
Projects that are gone since last pull #1 & 4
Projects that have progressed #3
Projects that have no change #2& 5

I know how to add a table to a report but not how to make the above queries.. I suspect I need designer access to load the captured data back as a new table to run current queries against.

Any suggestions are welcome
Thanks David

You could try to combine data from a BO query with a dataprovider based on an Excel spreadsheet.
If you synchronize the dataproviders over the common dimension 'IDCommon' you can probably make something work.

However, you may find this pretty exhausting , especially when you need to switch spreadsheets every months.

A better bet is to upload the excel data to a table and work in the data into the datamodel. This requires work at the backend, but will give you more to play with..

Ties Blom

This would actually be more easily accomplished all in excel.

Dump latest data into a seperate excel sheet and a couple of lookup formulae and a filter will give you all the answers you need....

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back