Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compare two HUGE Table's HELL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineedshelp

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
GB
Hi PLEASE HELP!!!,

I have two tables that are identical in everysense, apart from thier names.

I have a dts that runs overnight to move the info from table a to table b. Tables a currently have 55578 records, table b 50986 records. I am losing 4592 records in the transfer.

Is there any easy way of finding out what records are missing from table b, to see if I can identify the problem?

Both tables have 60-70 columns in them, so I don't want to do anything (if possible) that means I have to do it column by column.

Thanks!!!!

Something like this will do the trick.
Code:
select *
from tableb
where not exists (select {key columns} from tablea)

That should bring up the missing rows.

Just so you know 55k records isn't all that many. When you hit half a billion, now that's a big table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

There is one distant possibility with CHECKSUM() function:
Code:
select *
from tableA
where checksum(*) not in (select checksum(*) from tableB)
... but it isn't always accurate (two sets of values may have the same checksum) and won't work if you have automated columns (identity w/o forced insert, timestamp) or text/ntext/image columns.

------
heisenbug: A bug that disappears or alters its behavior when one attempts to probe or isolate it
schroedinbug: A bug that doesn't appear until someone reads source code and realizes it never should have worked, at which point the program promptly stops working for everybody until fixed.

I think mrdenny meant this for the Where clause
Code:
[Blue]WHERE[/Blue] {key column} [Gray]NOT[/Gray] [Blue]IN[/Blue] [Gray]([/Gray][Blue]SELECT[/Blue] {key column} [Blue]FROM[/Blue] tablea[Gray])[/Gray]
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back