Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compare system time to an Access table field

Status
Not open for further replies.

kre1973

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2006
US
This is an application to remind someone to do things at a certain time of the day. There are sometimes more than one thing the person has to do at a particular time.

So, basically I'm try to alert the user with a popup message box that it's a certain time and to do required things now.

I'm trying to compare a field in an Access database to the current system time using the control Timer.

Example of data in the Access field called: Time_To_Check
8:00:00
8:30:00
9:00:00
9:00:00
10:00:00
10:00:00
10:30:00
11:00:00

The data type for field Time_To_Check in Access is in the Date/Time and the format is: hh:nn:ss

I'm using seconds so the popup will only happen once.

I'm attaching the code with this posting, it's not working.

Code:
 Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
  Dim Time_Compare As String = Format(Now, "H:mm:ss")
        If conn.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
            conn.Close()
        Else
            conn.Open()
        End If
        strSQL1 = "SELECT Time_To_Check FROM FirstShift_Checklist WHERE Time_To_Check = @Time_Compare"

Using cmd1 As New OleDbCommand(strSQL1, conn)
            cmd1.Parameters.Add("@Time_Compare", OleDbType.Date).Value = Time_Compare
            Dim sdr As OleDbDataReader = cmd1.ExecuteReader

If (sdr.Read()) Then
                MsgBox("Do checkouts")
            End If
            sdr.Close()

End Using
        conn.Close()
    End Sub

You say you store your data in Access like so 8:00:00. I don't know much about Access anymore, but that seems like a VARCHAR datatype in that there is no date portion--just a time. However, you are creating a String variable to get the current time but you are adding a parameter of Date. That being said, if your datatype in Access is really a string type, change your parameter to a string type.

I was just trying your code and some changes gave me the result.
Code:
    Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        Dim Conn As New OleDbConnection
        Conn.ConnectionString = GetConnetionString()

Dim Time_Compare As[b] [COLOR=red] Date[/color][/b] = Format(Now, "H:mm:ss")
        If Conn.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
            Conn.Close()
            [b][COLOR=red]Conn.Open()[/color][/b]
        Else
            Conn.Open()
        End If
        Dim strSQL1 As String = "SELECT Time_To_Check FROM FirstShift_Checklist WHERE Time_To_Check = @Time_Compare"

Using cmd1 As New OleDbCommand(strSQL1, Conn)
            cmd1.Parameters.Add("@Time_Compare", OleDbType.Date).Value = Time_Compare
            Dim sdr As OleDbDataReader = cmd1.ExecuteReader

If (sdr.Read()) Then
                Me.TextBox1.AppendText("Do checkouts " & Time_Compare & vbCrLf)
                MsgBox("Do checkouts" & Time_Compare)
            Else
                Me.TextBox1.AppendText("Not This time " & Time_Compare & vbCrLf)
            End If
            sdr.Close()

End Using
        Conn.Close()
    End Sub

Zameer Abdulla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back