Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compaq smart 2\p and SPARCstorage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdark

MIS
Jun 1, 2003
NO
1 have purchased a sun sparcstorage rsm 219 scsidisk array with (7) 9.1 gb scsi disks. it has an 80 pin connecter on it. i havew from before a compaq smart2\p scsi raid controller. problem is is that i cant get windows to recognize the disk array. ive tried windows nt4,xp, 2000 and 2003 server. can ayone help me?

I believe the Sun storage box is differential SCSI where the Compaq array controller is single-ended. If this is the case, they are not compatible.

If the Sun box is differential SCSI you could pick up a differential Adaptec controller from Ebay and try it.

-Jeff

If you get this to work it will be a miracle!

Compaq smart arrays arent very forgiving when it comes to the disks attached to it, if its not Compaq disk then ...!

Sun disks are also not very forgiving about the controller they are connected to! Sun implement a lot of propriatery features (some say on purpose!) eg a 80 pin SCSI connector, where does that come from? SCSI has been 50 pin and then 68 pin for the last 10(?) years!

And as Jeff said that old version of the Smart array is Single-Ended, and unless the Sun box is LVD they are not even going to see each other at the electrical level let alone at the SCSI level!

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back