Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Server, W2k and Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdgordon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2002
US
I want to implement RAID 5 on a New Comapq ML370. What are some recommendations on the best way to go about this. I know i would like to do hardware RAID, but is it best to have a drive just for the O/S and then get 3 more drives to implement RAID 5 on and put data on those 3 drives or just get 3 drives total and put the o/s adn data on all 3 with RAID 5?
How many logical drives should i divide up the 3 RAID drives into or does it not matter?
I'm thinking worst case scenario, what is going to be easiest to recover in the event of a disaster?
Thanks

Nowadays we usually (except in the case of a high I/O -performance need)set the disks up as one volume (RAID5) and carve the partitions up with W2K. You can leave some unpartitioned unused then add it later too.

Be careful that you set the boot partition as large as you REALLY need it though cause you cannot resize it later. (we usually shoot for about 10GB for the C Drive)

::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back