Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Server drive in PC - remove bios partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcot13

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
CA
I have a new (never used) 9.1gb Compaq SCSI 80 pin drive - with an 80to68pin adapter and an Adaptec 2940U2. However I cannot format the drive - with 3rd party utils or Windows (install). I am told I need to remove the Compaq bios partition - but none of the utilities I have tried see it, and the SMART cd won't work on a PC. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Terry

FDISK definately sees the Compaq BIOS partition if it is on the drive. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

ok, I might see it in fdisk then, but it doesn't describe the 8mb partition - or let me remove it. When I remove all and create new, I am back to square-one again. I reboot, attempt to format drive, and it fails after 100% saying drive could not be formated, check termination. But it should already be terminated at the card.

Hi,

Try deleting the partition using Partition Magic or create a boot disk using DR DOS, copy that version of Fdisk to it, boot off of it and load fdisk /X.

Either of these methods will delete the partition.

Lou

You can check with the Erase Utility of Compaq to remove this partition. Best Regards,
Mukul Dutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back