Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq raid 3200 controller..imminient failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeblk

MIS
Nov 22, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I have a compaq smart array 3200 raid controller. This is configured in raid 5 array running w2k. The machine has 12 x 18.2 gb disks. The problem is that at boot up the machine has the foll msg: 1720 slot 5 drive array..imminient failure.
Question:
1: How do you identify the failing disk? (there are no amber lights on the physical machine - all the lights are green)
2: I have a replacement 18.2gb disk, how do I do this? My understanding is that I can remove the failing disk (once I'm able to id it) and just put the new one and it should rebuild automatically..is this correct?

Can someone please assist.

Thanks
JB

launch the hp agents

this will let you see the array and look at each disk

2. yes just take the disks out and slap the new one in - you will see the rebuild

Hi All.

Have purchased a Compaq ML530, with 2 x Xeon P3, 3 x PSU's and 6 x SCSI disks (2 x 9.1gig, 2 x 18.2 gig, 2 x 36.4 gig) & a 20/40 DLT.

This mights sound like a daft question, I am aware that the disks are hot swap, along with the fans etc, but how do I know if the drives have raid and how can I check if I load data onto these drives.

Secondly, can I remove the smaller drives and install say 36gig or 72gig in all bays, by taking them out individually and allowing them to re-build?

I have built a couple of smaller mirrored server with Win2k and have had no probs, but this one has got me.

Perhaps, someone could advise whether installing the ML530 would be a good file/database server for around 8-10 clients, running Win2k Active Directory?

Lok forward to your replies - thanks Mark.

Opps, sorry, I think I have posted this in the wrong place.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back