Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Prosignia 200 ROMpaq update now server toasted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahale2

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I think it's history. Well with that said, here's what happened. I sure hope someone has good news for me...

I have a Compaq Prosignia 200. It is running NetWare 4.11. The server rebooted and only booted up Netware up through the DOS portion. It also said card in slot 1 is a non-Compaq device or card or something like that. I went into Install mode and found no Netware partitions, so woo hoo... That's why it's not booting correctly.

From there I started to think it was a server config problem so I went into the system setup and ran the system configuration utility. I checked all of the hardware settings and everything looked good. I rebooted again and got the same thing.

Now here's the real doozy. I then decide, well can't hurt to make sure I'm running the latest BIOS. So I pulled the ROMpaq off the network and installed it. Now my friendly server is telling me that "Unsupported Processor Detected, System Halted".

Well as you all know this is obviously not a good thing. Is there a way to flush the BIOS or revert back to the previous firmware version or something by yanking a jumper or some nifty magic trick like that? Or am I truly up a creek on this one? I know I used the right BIOS so what the heck happed?

She may not be dead yet. First things first - some versions of Netware had problems seeing the partition if the latest Rompaq was not applied to the disks themselves. Totally randmom problem, but always seemed to occur when you needed the server most! So, if this next step gets you back up and running, you'll be able to update them...

I am not positive if this works on the prosig, but it should. Open that bad boy up and look for a dipswitch of 6 switches. I don't know where it will be on that one, but its there somewhere. Note the current switch positions - flip #6 up and power on. Let it try to come up and powerdown again. Set 6 back and power on. If all is OK now, you're set. If not, read on...

Download whatever ROM (old or new) for that system and put it on a NEW floppy disk. Put it in the disk drive and (noting current switch positions) move all Switches to ON position and power on. Watch the floppy light and listen for "happy" tones after the floppy light goes out (You'll know if the tones aren't happy). Remove the floppy and reboot. This will force the ROM on the floppy to be applied to the server (if it matches) and hopefully get you up and running. If not - read on.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back