Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Prolinea 5150 Printing Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jons1

Technical User
Jan 20, 2000
GB
I have recently obtained an old Compaq Prolinea 5150 which I have setup as a spare PC. Total installation has been successful except for Printing.<br>I have checked over the BIOS settings. The settings are as standard using the default IRQ and DMA. After all these checks when I install a printer the error message &quot;Error printing to LPT1&quot; is displayed. My next alternative is to install a second printer port. Is this a viable solution??

Sure. Install the second printer port as&nbsp;&nbsp;port address 278 (assuming your<br>LPT1 is set to 378), IRQ 7 (OK to share this irq with LPT1), or IRQ 5 if it's<br>available, or no IRQ. It should show up&nbsp;&nbsp;at LPT2. If this installation gives <br>you the same results, check the printer and cable on another PC to make<br>sure it works. Sometimes long printer cables (over 10-15')&nbsp;&nbsp;will work on 1 <br>PC but not another. <p>David J. Aller<br><a href=mailto:GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com>GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com</a><br><a href= Computer Systems & Networking Services</a><br> I try to share some of my knowledge and experience with others, and also have picked-up many<br>
tips from reading other postings.<br>
If you have any questions or comments, please email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back