Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant DL380 Hard drive's

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughejars

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
GB
Hi

Just an afterthought, while I'm trying to upload W2K3 SBS to this server, does anyone know if I can use any larger drives than the 9.1gb 7200 rpm's i'm using at the moment.
I've tried scanning through HP's site but cant seem to get anywhere, they seem more interested in supporting G4 & 5 servers.

It would be nice to have larger drives as I dont want to have to get into setting up external arrays of drives in seperate racks once I've filled these up.

Cheers
Phil

- nothing there yet so give me a few weeks to get something together. This ASP.NET looks like fun.

You can certainly use the 36.4Gb Ultra 3 drives, and depending on your firmware versions, I think you could also try the 72.8Gb Ultra 320 disks (which should be backward compatible with the Ultra 3 SCSI card in the server). I don't know about the 146Gb disks though

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

thanks, I'm sure 4x36gb would be more than enough, now to go to ebay and try to get a few cheapies. :)

Cheers
Phil

- nothing there yet so give me a few weeks to get something together. This ASP.NET looks like fun.

Remeber that as you have caddies (with the 9.1GB) disks fitted, you can buy the bare SCSI 36GB disks and swap them with the 9.1GB disks. You need the correct drives which IIRC are SCA80-pin versions (ie not the 64-pin versions), but check one of the 9.1GB disk that you already have.

Regards: tf1

Cheers for that, but trying to find matching drives with the correct spindle speeds and size, as well as being 80pin rather than 64 is proving harder than i thought. So I'll have to ask another question cos i can't find it in the literature, will our G1's handle 10K or even 15K spindle speeds?

Cheers
Phil

Yes. You can mix spindle speeds, but if configured in an array, the array will only run at the 'slowest' speed disk.

Depending what disks you can get, try to pair up 2 x 15ks as system RAID1 disks and the other mixture as a data array.

If you are operating just Windows Server (as against SBS), you can keep 2 of your 9GB disks as system disks in RAID1 and get bigger disks for a data array. There's loads of possibilities.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back