Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant 3000 Installing 600mhz processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

necro1

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2005
US
I have 2 Pentium 3 Processors. Model 600e/256/100/1.65V

When installed in the server, it will boot and autodetect them as 600mhz processors with 1024K cache. And then tell me that they are unsupported.

Is there anyway to get these processors working in this system?
I can't find any documentation on switch settings for the Proliant 3000 and 600mhz processors.

Thanks.

Don't have my docs to hand but was 600MHz supported on the 3000's as a new server or an upgrade?

If it was then it might just be a ROM flash is required. Check the HP web site for the latest rom revision.

Neill

Anyone have any more info. This system is running the newest bios revision according to HP website.

This is a P09 Proliant 3000 system. I have seen plenty of proliant 3k's for sale on Ebay with 600mhz pentium 3's in them.

I don't want to waste my money buying processors that the system doesn't support.

not sure whether the problem is the motherboard or CPU. From HP part surfer looking for parts for Proliant 3000, your 600 CPU should be a Katmai P-III with 512KB.

processor pic:

motherboard pic:
(Note the motherboard part number -- it is different than the 400/450/500 boards which is 179779-001. The 550 is 146937-001)

SW2 switch settings are shown in the image and it appears that all should be OFF. I'm just going on the photo and not sure if that one sets CPU speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back