Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant 3000 and Fedora Core 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiwayman1

Technical User
Jan 4, 2005
US
I have a couple of proliant 3000 that I have installed Fedora Core 4 on. One is a dual pII 333, and the other is a PIII 550. The smp kernel in linux will not recognize either as a dual processor machine. Both units were set up with smartstart 5.5. Any ideas would surely be appreciated. Thanks

Never mind, I found out what I had overlooked in the system config utility.

Hello
I'd like to know how/what you did? I recent purchased a 3000, I did the system erase, and now I cannot boot it. It will go as far as checking the system and I get an error message "101 I/O Rom Error" Now I cannot even get to a prompt, or boot screen, it won't let me go any further. I have only seen the Compaq Splash screen one, now I cannot get past this error. I have a SmartStart CD V 4.3 on the way, but I think my problem are deeper than just the cd. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You are not going to get any further until you get the smartstart and configure the system. This information is read during the boot process. Without it the computer does not know what hardware etc it has. Cannot find harddrives etc. I do not know if smartstart 4.3 will work, it did not work on one of mine. After the erase, I ran the system config utility from floppies. I downloaded the system config utility from the compaq website. After I configured the system, the smartstart cd would run, and I could continue.
When I seledted the operating system in the config utility, I selected other instead of the sco-unix which opened another menu to select linux.
Hope this helps out.

You can download 5.5 from the compaq website as an iso at
Hope this helps.

So the error "101 I/O Rom Error" I shouldn't be to concerned about till I recieve the SmartStart CD? I'm thinking my problem is deeper, cause I cannot even get to a DOS prompt, the system hangs stops at the error message.

I'll try it when I get the SmartStart CD. What is the OS on your server? Andother question, is the BIOS store on a drive? I cannot access the bios, I'm thinking I deleted it.

It is my understanding that the bios information is stored on the harddrive when you do the system configuration. When you did the system erase, you erased that information also.

I am using redhat enterprise linux as an operating system on one 3000, and Fedora Core 4 on another.

Well, I did get the system to boot, only by removing the smart array controller. The "101 I/O Rom Error" goes away when I remove the controller, so I'm thinking a new controller is in the near future, but I'm hope to get an OS installed (linux) any points would be great. Thanks hiwayman1 for your help thus far.

What distribution are you considering installing?

Thanks hiwayman1, I'm going to attempt to load Fedora Core 4. I have never done linux as of yet, so I'm expecting a long learning curve. I have update the Rompaq to P09, if that is the question you are asking. I will have to do more research on my error message, I will aquire a new smart array controller, if it's not bad, at least I will have a test part. Do you have your Proliant up and running? What are you using the server for? Was it hard to get FC4 loaded and wirking, and did you have prior Linux experience?
Thanks

I have played around with linux for a few years. Fedora Core 4 was a pretty easy install. When installing the boot loader, select the advanced options. If not, the default installation will be to install the boot loader to the mbr and you want to select the boot partition instead. If it installs to the mbr it makes it hard to access the system utilities that are installed in the system partition. I am setting up the server to use an erp program integrated with ecommerce to service our customer base.

The quality and availability in open source software has improved so much over the past few years that it is really
exciting.

well, 1 step forward and another back. I'm trying to load FC4 without smartstart, while load disc 2 of SCU i get errors
Critical Error "data error(CRC)" has occurred in drive A
Reading CPQ0579CFG
Reading CPQ0808CFG
Reading CPQ0709CFG
Reading CPQ0553CFG

>enter=retry< <escape=abort>

it is stuck on each until I hit escape, but will continue thru setup, but..............

When I try to load FC4 I can get to the welcome screen, but it hangs after about 2 pages of coding and I've never seen the screen where you select language. Am I going in circles till I get smartstart 4.9 or earlier?

You should be able to configure with the diskettes. You may have a corrupt file or problem with the floppy file in question. I sent an Im with the info to download the Smartstart 4.8 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back