Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compaq proliant 1850r dual boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcum

Programmer
Sep 1, 2005
US
Hi I just recieved a compaq proliant 1850r. I am having trouble getting it working. When I first got I install Fedora C3 without doing any bios(smartstart) stuff. And it installed fine and booted fine, but fedora didn't see both processors. So I used the SmartStart cd and erased everything, and did the whole congifuration thing,setting OS to other(for fedora), and did the whole F10 partition thing. Of note is that there aren't any isa/pci cards at all, which I guess means no scsi array controller, so the 3 drives I have go right to the board, so I dont do any of the ACU stuff.
1)Now when I try graphical install in Fedora it froze to a black screen, so I did textual install and everything went fine, but when Fedora was booting, it gets to the step where it loads an X-win type interface and then freezes at the black screen. I guess I'll try FC2?
2) At boot both processors are initialized fine and when I use the configure->inspect both are seen fine. But when I use configure->test->devicelist it reads something like:
Proc1 ...P2 450(primary)
Proc2 ...P2 450(disabled)
and when I do test->diagnostics->cpu it only checks the Proc1. Any help would be welcome.

alycat

If you have erased the system settings try going into F10, then do CTRL-A for advanced mode.

One of the options you'll then see in the setup screens is APIC mode - you want this to say Full Map if I remember correctly.

Also make sure firmware is at latest revision.

Neill

Thanks but I tried that. I did upgrade the 1850r bios from some 1998 version to the 2002 version. And when I hit the F10 and go into the "System Partion Utility", and hit ctrl-A it says "advanced mode enabled, please hit >ENTER<", and nothing happens. I think my options at the first screen are "Configure", "Diagnose" and "System Partition" none of which have any place to set or mess with the CPU. I am using SmartStart5.5 or the set of 4 3.5" disks. Do I need a vesion that has the "Full Map"? thanks

Oh and I got Fedora to run by adding some command lines at the kernel boot, thou it still doesnt see the second chip.

alycat

Sorry my bad, in the first screen my choices are "System Configuration", "Operating System Installation", "Diagnostic" and "Exit". Compaqs are weird and icky...

alycat

Advanced mode just makes more options appear in the system config menu. One of which is APIC mode.

Neill

Weird, I could not get ctrl-A to work. I tried on a buncha different menus and its always just said advanced mode enabled abut no new options appeared. However with enough messing around I got both cpus to work. What I had to do is set the OS to WinNT->Win2k. I guess the Fedora instructions were wrong when they said to use Other->Other, as this disables one of the CPUs.

What were the parameters that you passed to get it to work?

In the normal configuration utility I had to set the OS to Windows NT/Win2k. (I had it set to Other because thats what the fedora guide I read said.) After that everything worked fine, both cpus were then seen by my Fedora install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back