Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq ProLiant 1600 boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcassar

Technical User
Sep 19, 2005
US
We have a Compaq ProLiant 1600 and after a power outage users could not log into the network and restarted the server. Everything looked ok, but after about 2 hours the users were having problems again, so one of the tech guys went and restarted the server (by pressing the power button). Now it would not boot giving the error message: "SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED"
Can anyone help me out with that? I would really appreciate any advice because I'm just a novice in server stuff and have no idea where to start.
The SmartStart CD will not boot the system, message says : "not a system CD"

Thanks alot.

I forgot to mention that I have a SmartStart 4.40 release CD.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll download the 5.5 and keep my fingers crossed that I would not loose the info stored on the HD.

Just remember you only want to access the tools on the CD, not do a System Erase or install the System Partition otherwise you will wipe the disks....

By the way, if you get the SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED message, it is not an error as sucn but basically means that there is no boot device installed on your internal SCSI bus and you will get this if your disks are on a PCI RAID controller for example.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Thanks again for your reply. Very helpfull info. Yes indeed the "SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED" is not an error message, but is the last statement that appears on the screen before asking me for a system disk. Any idea on what to do further?
Thanks alot for your support.

Well first you need to establish how your disks are connected ie. to the internal SCSI bus or to a PCI card. Are the disks spinning up (getting power) or is there any activity on the disks?

Check your cabling in the server. Make sure ALL cabling is secure and all PCI cards are reseated. Bear in mind that the error may be elsewhere and not the disks but failing all other routes, you may have a genuine hardware fault so running the diags off the SmartStart CD may help too.

"It's true, its damn true!"

I agree with TheLad. I have seen issues like this on Proliant 1600s. Try reseating the PCI card cage (don't remember the name) and even the motherboard if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back