Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Presario V6405CA Ricoh Driver 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
Compaq Presario V6000 (V6405CA)

I recently installed windows 7 32 bit on the above laptop. Everything went well except for the card reader. I have been going out of my mind trying to find a driver for it and apparently it doesn't exist!

Device Identifier detects the devices as:

Chip: Ricoh R5C592 Memory Stick Host Controller
and
Chip: Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller

HP's website has no driver for vista or 7. Normally I would just try the Vista drivers but HP is making things difficult. I also tried the Ricoh website and they have listings for every device they make except for card readers. I tried googling it and all you get is a bunch of sites willing to sell you drivers they probably don't even have!

Does anyone know any place I can get drivers for this device?

Thanks.

Ricoh makes several different card readers... to help you, first I would need a bit of information on the device...

namely the VEN&DEV number, e.g. VEN_10DE&DEV_023F (not a real device, I just made those numbers up), which can be found under the HARDWARE ID, on the DETAIL Tab of the device in the DeviceManager...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for the reply. Here is all the info I could find:

@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#2176;Base System Device [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
Chip: Ricoh R5C592 Memory Stick Host Controller
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_0A
Vendor

Device
@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#2176;Base System Device
Chip Vendor
Ricoh
Chip
R5C592 Memory Stick Host Controller
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
Chip: Ricoh SD Host Controller
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1180&DEV_0822&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_19
Vendor
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller Vendor
Device
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
Chip Vendor
Ricoh
Chip
SD Host Controller
Ricoh 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Chip: Ricoh R5C832 IEEE-1394 Controller
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1180&DEV_0832&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_00
Vendor
Ricoh
Device
Ricoh 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Chip Vendor
Ricoh
Chip
R5C832 IEEE-1394 Controller
@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#2176;Base System Device [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
Chip: Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1180&DEV_0843&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_01
Vendor

Device
@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#2176;Base System Device
Chip Vendor
Ricoh
Chip
SD/MMC Host Controller
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Chip: Ricoh xD-Picture Card Host Controller
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_05
Vendor
Ricoh Company
Device
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Chip Vendor
Ricoh
Chip
xD-Picture Card Host Controller

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks very much.

Could try Acer support at Acer panam - my own laptop uses Ricoh R5C 843/MS 592 also XD picture card controller

ACER Notebook Aspire 7520

Cardreader_Ricoh(R5C833)_v6.10.01.03_Win7x86x64.zip

Extracts from inf files:

This Driver supports R5C83x/84x RICOH Controller...

for installing RICOH Memory Stick driver...

%rimsptskDesc%=rimsptsk_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592...

for installing RICOH MMC(Multi Media Card) driver...

%R5C843Desc%=R5C843_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843...

for installing XD Host Controller...

%rixdptskDesc%=rixdptsk_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852

As well as Win7, the file includes Vista driver, X86, AMD64 etc.

I used to use DriverMax.com - used to be free and fast, works on the peer sharing of drivers - you agree to upload drivers from your own machine, acts as online backup, but now very limited, 2 downloads per day and delayed like Rapidshare unless you pay for pro membership. I could understand Rapidshare, needing to cover their legal fees, but not for hardware drivers...

Thanks! I tried that driver and things seem to be working so far. Thanks a million - would have kept me up half the night! :)

Glad to be of help, Blayne, and thanks for that Ben, but I'll follow your sage advice and not fix mine yet!

I find that updated drivers are becoming more difficult to find, mostly due to driver sites that are either paywalls or worse, malware. They flood the search engines with bogus "free downloads" offers, so much so that it is often impossible to find a genuine driver download.

It really is time that hardware manufacturers either protected their drivers under a GPL, or that Microsoft took a more front seat role in making Windows (TM) approved, signed drivers more readily available through the Microsoft Windows Update site. If the only way to obtain driver updates is from online dealers that charge for the privilege, most users will not be getting the best out of their hardware

In particular, when Vista ran like a slime mould on this laptop when it was new, and I decided to downgrade to XP, neither Windows update nor Acer UK (Europe) had any XP support for the hardware. Eventually I found Acer PanAm and everything I needed, but all the drivers were outdated. The various device manufacturers referred the user back to Acer as OEM of the system for updates.

It was only after several false starts and skirmishes with "Driver Detective" etc., that I discovered the site I mentioned in the earlier post, which now is also mostly paywalled. The reasons are given by the CEO here in the first posted reply:

Another, once free site, "Radarsync", is now also not free to use, apparently.

Should there be a "Write your own or Swap your Drivers" discussion forum?

I agree these pay for driver sites are a pain. When you google for a driver 80% of the hits are from the same few websites over and over again. This is one of the few times I have ever had difficulty finding a driver but it takes longer and gets harder all the time. Manufacturers should be more supportive, but they are more interested in selling their new technology than they are supporting hardware older than even a few months.

A huge percentage of HP's laptops made for Vista have no windows 7 support. That's just wrong as Vista is such a poor operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back