Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compaq presario EZ2200 (Will not boot- need to keep data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreman

Programmer
Jan 16, 2002
US
Got an old Compaq Presario EZ2200 that I get system disk error. It will not boot.
I have the restore disk from compaq, but if i run them they will delete all data. How to preserve them.
Any thoughts, thank you.
Dré

Put another disk in it make it the master (jumper)
Make the existing disk slave (jumper)
Leave the existing disk (slave) unpluged and install the OS. Get the system running stable and shutdown power off.
Plug in the existing disk (slave). If the disk works you will be able to copy your data, if not. Call OnTrack in Minnesota. They specialize in getting data from dead hard disks. If this is business related the business insurance may pay to recover the data. They are expensive.

Samulelma:
Thanks for the response.
I had to utilize the compaq restore disk (Which I really don't like). it had to erase all my data but I got it finally up and running.
My personal experience with Compaq had been always very stressfull. I will never ever buy a compaq. DEll is the way to go.
thank you.
dré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back