Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Presario 6000 Not Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Hi,

have a Compaq Presario 6000 which wont boot. When power button pressed, the green light on the right of the power button stays lit for about 30 seconds. All the while the button to the left of the power button flashes red. When the green button to the right goes off the other one keeps flashing away until I turn the machine off. Everything sounds fine, any ideas?

How comfortable are you with looking at the internals of your computer? I'd be wanting to check a few things:

[OL][LI]See if any of the power wires going to any of the components (hard drive, optical drive, fan, etc) are hot - they shouldn't be).[/LI]
[LI]Does it do this if the Hard drive is disconnected?[/LI]
[LI]Can you test running it with the side panel off/open, to see if any of the fans are not running?[/LI][/OL]

At least those are a few things I'd check first.

Also, are you not getting anything at all on the screen? If not, do you have a dedicated graphics card, and/or onboard graphics? If both, try removing the dedicated graphics and boot as well, in case there is a problem there. But I'd suggest the others first.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back