Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq ML330 replacement DAT Drive not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemsisuk1

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
GB
Hi
Compaq ML330 G2 with 3x9GB harddrive Raid 5. Had a failure on the DAT drive 20/40GB, sent away for repair/replacement, when re installed the DAT drive the RAID/SCSI does not regonise it.
ANy help would be appriciated, i was told that need to access the RAID Bios?????
Thanks

RAID has nothing to do with tape drives, in fact you should not connect tape drives to RAID controllers - RAID controllers are for hard disks only. I presume your tape drive is connected to the internal/external SCSI bus of the server? Have you made sure the SCSI ID is set correctly on the new drive and is it definitely powering up ok?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Thanks for the reponse,
I assumed that the repaired drive SCSI id had not been changed, however, this may not be the case how can i check what the iD's are or if there is a conflict?
The DAT unit does power up, but is giving an "error condition signal" on the front led's

Thanks

I would check to make sure that the drive is definitely working ok. To test this, I would (with the server powered off) disconnect the SCSI cable from the drive and power the server up. In theory, the drive should power up ok - if you still get your error condition I would suggest the drive is still faulty. If the drive powers up ok, I would check your SCSI connections.

Check the drive manufacturer's website for adv ice on checking the SCSI ID.

"It's true, its damn true!"

You might need the terminating resistor too - did you swap it from the old drive?

Steve Harmon
Greenfield, Indiana

Yep powered down the server and re booted with the SCSI lead disconnected
DAT seems to work fine.. no problems.

As for a terminating resistor... no i did not remove anything when it went away for repair.

SO therefore must be SCSI id,
As a last resort, i have similar server with same dat drive... and replaced it...with this drive... it was recognised straight away no problems..
When I plugged in the similar dat drive...still no joy !!!!

Any ideas?? Possability damaged SCSI lead???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back