Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq MA8000 disk errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

benth

MIS
May 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a Compaq MA8000 (HSG80's), there are 3 servers attached (all 2000 advanced server) with 2 Emulex HBA's in each. On one of the servers I am getting an increasing number of errors in the system event log as listed below:

Event ID 7 DISK: The device, \Device\Harddisk6\DR6, has a bad block.

Event ID 11 DISK: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.

Event ID 33 DISK: Data was recovered using error correction code on device \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.

And to a lesser extent:

Event ID 11 CPQKGPSA: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\CPQKGPSA2.

These obviously all relate to one array within the SAN, none of the disks have failed, they have all been reseated for that array, there are no errors within ACS and no other drives on the same server which are also on the SAN are experiencing the same problem.

I wonder whether there is anything else that can be done other than replacing all the drives (which I'm getting close to doing) to resolve or diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance

Ben.

Not sure if this applies, but I have had to replace multiple back planes on several HP RA4100 arrays as well as (2) RA8000’s. Is it a possibility that it's the back plane giving you the headache? HP has some diag tools that they can run to see exactly what’s causing your issue. Good Luck. -Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff,

The offending drive finally failed last night and was replaced, all the errors have stopped. Compaq/HP reckon it was a dodgy disk that was failing but not reporting itself as failed, strange one.

As far as diag tools are concerned there is very little other than vtdipy (a degree in gibberish is required I think) which can be run on the HSG80 to try and narrow it down to a specific spindle, unless there is something else out there which will do it, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks
Ben.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you update all drivers and firmware for the controllers, the switch and the HBAs. There have been a lot of updates and patches for the MA8000. Installing the Compaq/HP Windows 2000 Support Paq is also a good idea. Our SAN is configured as a dual-redundant config with agout 30 attached servers. Bringing everything up to date eliminated a lot of weird and non-reproducible problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back