Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Legend (P-75) 406CE won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
I have two Compaq (spit spit) Pentium 75's that will not use my Floppy drive nor boot from an old 320mb drive.

Although the CMOS is configured and recognizes the floppy, the 320 and the 1gig (no OS, secondary HDC, slave), neither the Legend 406CE and the 2200? will work.

A friend of mine said the 320mb drive may have Stealth C virus? I remember that from the good old days, but I'm not sure.

Advise guys? Is Compaq vengeful against non-proprietary parts? How to clean off Stealth, if it's there? What's the most likly problem? (including pilot error)

I have Partition Magic 5, a Win2000 Pro and a Win ME workstation.

Thanks in advance...

Oh, forgot to mention, the 320mb hard drive has Win98 (with DOS 7, for Chuck Yeager and Falcon3 goodness) installed on it. This drive BOOTS JUST FINE on my WinME Duron 850.

It does not boot at all on the Compaqs. I have to disable the floppy drive (on both) just to get them to TRY to boot from the HD (well reconfiguring the boot order might have worked).

DRIVE NOT BOOTABLE or something, then halts.

Suspect the COMPAQs do some rudimentary filesystem checking and upchuck over an unknown FS type. They are known for looking for their diagnostic partition. You might try changing the boot order and then looking with fdisk.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back