Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq LC2 raid controller expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2003
US
Compaq Proliant ML350 Gen1
3 (soon to be 4) 18.4 GB 10k SCSI 3
LC2 Raid Controller

I am trying to expand from 3 to 4 drives in a raid 5. (disk striping with Parity) I have Spent Hours on the HP Website looking for A Array Configuration Utility that will be able to see the Controller. The only Thing i have found that works is a Raid Diagnostic Utility, but that will only allow me to view the raid. I have also updated to smart Start 5.50. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

just run the acu or cpqonlin

if you have the support pack on - then the acu is there or you can download it but it's easier if full support pack is installed

should be 6.31 for nt
7.3 for all other microsoftie os and netware

i install the support pack off of the Smart Start CD?
If not where on the HP/Compaq website do i download it?

During the install of the Compaq Array Redundancy Software for Windows 2000 Ver 5.0.2.0 (off of the smart start 5.50 CD Rom) i get a pop up box that ask me if i would like to start the install of the software, I choose "YES" it then appears to be installing. i then get a window that comes up and says "The software dose not need to be installed on this systems, Pres 'Close' to exit setup" This software is what i assume i use to expand the Array, Any help would be great.

5. is useless to you

go to then drivers and downloads
type the model of server
select the os
then it says what you need
2000 will be on either 7.3 or 7.31

5.5 is years old - ie about 7
you want the acu - you can do this as well from

RAID LC2 does not support ACU and ACU XE, must be configured before the SmartStart CD is used to install the server" - quote from HP APS training guide.

It also does not mention drive expansion as a feature. Only auto-rebuild or online spare support.

It seems that you would need to stick an SA221, 3200 or similar in which can run the drives and supports online expansion. Easily and cheaply bought from eBay.

And I think 5.5 smartstart was last to support ML350 G1 but it might be up to 6.30. Don't think V7 supports it.

So if i take another Raid Controller and stick it in there, then add the drive and expand it, can i then take the LC2 Controller and put back in? also will that damage the existing data that is there if i change out the raid controller??

In the driver downloads section for the ML350 G1, it only gives the option to download SmartStart v5.5 so I would stick with that because the server won't be compatible with the later v6 or v7 versions - the older servers usually are not compatible, only the newer servers.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Dan,

That would probably work without damaging anything.

There will certainly be no problem adding one in to replace the LC2, they are designed for that.
I'm slowly getting rid of my 2/DH's for 3200's for instance with no problems. Also gone from 5i to 632 etc.

Although with the minimal cost of a 2nd hand RAID controller why bother taking it out again.
Stick a 3200 in it which will have more RAM than LC2 and is battery backed in case of accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back