Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq/HP Evo N610c Dies During OS Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I have a Compaq Evo N610c that I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on. I downloaded and burned the DVD image. It boots fine and starts the install procedure. It correctly goes through all of the questions to prepare for the setup. Once it starts the actual setup though, it makes a faint click and goes dead. Completely black. This happens at different times. Sometimes when it's just started, sometimes when it's well over 50% done.

I've searched online for this problem and from what I've found, I've done the following; I've turned off power management, I've disabled all unneeded devices, I've set the fan to be on continuously while plugged in, and I leave it plugged in during the install.

I can leave it sitting at one of the prompts for information (i.e. IP address, time zone, host name, etc) for hours with no problems, but it still clicks and goes black during the install.

Checking the BIOS options doesn't come up with anything that looks like it would help.

Any ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back