Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq evo w8000 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

theannihilator

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
I have a compaq evo w8000 i am working on i installed an IBM Lite-on cd-rw the computer reconizes the drive correctly but it shows it as a cd-rom drive and not a cd burner. Is it cause i am putting a ibm product in a compaq machine? if that is the case, will a Hp cd burner work in the computer?

Manufacturer shouldn't be an issue. You didn't state whether or not you'd installed manufacturer-specific drivers for the drive. If you didn't, that would be the first thing to try. You might also try flashing the drive's firmware to a slightly different version ( and see if the OS recognises it any better. That's a slightly frightening process if you don't know what you're doing though ;-)

i know i had to do that before with another comp the drivers are compaq drivers that it preinstalled from win 2000. I went to lite-ons website downloaded the firmware update for it and the updated did not even reconize the drive even tho it listed the exact drive in its findings

Do you have CD-burning software installed? From your post I gathered you were running Win2K.

yes i swaped drives to a compaq cd-rw installed roxio >.<
and it works

I know lite-on products work with nero so i am wondering if this one is actually a roxio burner or if it just did not like the computer or if my software is out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back