Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq DL380 G1 & Smart Array 3200 Raid 5 Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniaccoder

Programmer
Dec 2, 2003
US
I just acquired a Smart Array 3200 to put into my test Compaq DL380 G1. I have used the Smart Start CD to setup 2 RAID 5 partitions - an 8Gb boot and the balance in a data partition (3 36Gb drives).

I start the installation of Windows 2000 Server, which runs just fine, but after the reboot following the initial CD load, the system won't boot to the initial RAID partion to finish the installation. (It will boot a CD or floppy, but not to the RAID.)

My prior server experience has been primarily with Dells, so perhaps I'm suffering from newbie syndrome on this system. My questions are: is it possible to boot the 3200 to a RAID 5 partition? If so, what am I missing? It seems as if everything is setup correctly, but I'm sure that I'm missing something extremely simply somewhere in this setup (like setting the RAID up for boot or something) but I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure it out! Any direction on this will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Rick

Sounds like the driver is not loading, this is the ususal result of an incorrect driver. Try another driver, updated or slightly older driver.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Yes, I've tried without the CD in the drive (or the floppy) :). I'm going to give the driver angle a try and will reply back with the results...

Well, it turned out to be something stupid. I had used the SmartStart CD to boot and set the boot order, but apparently I didn't save it (or clicked somewhere else or something similar to cause it to reset to the original values). I have no idea why things didn't save, but when I walked through the config a little slower this time, I successfully configured the SmartArray as 1st in the boot order among the SCSI devices.

Thanks to all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back