Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq DL2 380

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottdn

MIS
Jan 17, 2006
US
I have a Compaq DL 380 with (4) 36.4GB 10,000 RPM drives in a RAID 5 setup. I want to add a hotspare to the configuration but HP/Compaq has discontinued the 10k model. What should I substitute this with? The 36.4GB 15k model or the 72.6GB 10k model? Thanks.

You want to really keep all of your disks the same size and speed, however in theory if you purchased the 36.4Gb 15k model, then it should step down to the 10k speed and work ok - in theory of course ;)

I would have thought that there is somewhere where you can buy older Compaq/HP parts, eBay is usually worth a look.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Try redemtech.com for older drives we unload a lot of stuff to them.

I would suggest the 72GB 10rpm drive would be the best bet if you cannot find a spare 36GB HDD. You won't be able to use half of it now but you never know, you may find a use for it in the future!

Regards: tf1

I agree, just get one off eBay from a reputable seller. Either a 10K or 15K will work fine but search for part #177986-001. You shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a used one or $180 for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back