Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Deskpro EP motherboard sometimes doesn't start BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

waardj

Technical User
Feb 17, 2000
NL
I have a Compaq Deskpro EP motherboard, Pentium III 450 Mhz processor, Voodoo 12 Mb videocard, 6.4 Mb Harddisk, diskettedrive, 64 Mb installed.<br>
When starting up, sometimes it passes the BIOS and starts up (for instance a WIN98 bootdiskette). But it stops somewhere in the execution of the programs, probably at random. <br>
Sometimes it is not possible to get the BIOS screen (by pressing F10), it just stops doing nothing. <br>
Sometimes, when I remove the harddisk and thus changing the hardware configuration, the BIOS prompts me with this change, and suddenly I can access the BIOS. <br>
<br>
What could be the problem? Motherboard ? <br>
(waardj@yahoo.com)

A motherboard? Very possibly. However with compaq, that's a last resort. You'll probably end up having to give tech support a call there, or call a tech to come out onsite to troubleshoot it. <br>
<br>
Before you get to this step though, Compaq will require you to download the lastest BIOS and apply it to the machine. With the problems you are describing, it could very well be just a bad BIOS flash. For your model that you listed above (thank you very much for the complete description!) try checking out this link at compaq:<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
***PLEASE NOTE***<br>
<br>
Before you download this and install it, you will need to try to get into the BIOS to get your ROM Family and ROM date. You really DON'T want to install the wrong BIOS onto the right machine. Know what I mean? Once you have this info, match it up to the address I gave you so you can verify this is the right BIOS you need. Don't just take my word for it, please!<br>
<br>
***Thank you***<br>
<br>
Even if the download is the same BIOS as currently installed, reinstall over it. I've seen many come from the factory with a faulty BIOS on it. <br>
<br>
If the BIOS upgrade doesn't do it for you...then it's probably time to give Compaq a call. It's a new enough machine that it should be under full onsite warranty yet (I think).<br>
<br>
Let me know if you need more help!<br>
<br>
Sincerely,<br>
<br>
Mike Hrubes<br>
eSystems21

Compaq warranty.....3 yrs as follows<br><br>upto 1 yr old - full warranty onsite repair<br>1 - 2 yrs old - full warranty workshop repair<br>2 - 3 yrs old - parts only workshop repair, labour chargable<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back