Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq CL380 and CentOS 5 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiwayman1

Technical User
Jan 4, 2005
US
I have acquired a compaq CL380 and am attempting to configure and install CentOS 5. I have used smartsart 5.5 to configure node 1 and the integrated array. I have not been able to figure out how to configure the shared storage array. The CR3500 array configuration tools that I have found only relate to a windows environment. Any indormation on this will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In SmartStart using the Array Configuration Utility (ACU), you should be able to select the RAID controller that the storage array sits on and configure it this way.

I am assuming that the storage array is on a separate RAID controller and can be seen during the server post. If the storage array cannot be seen during server post, you need to address this before you can configure the storage array.

For more info, check out the link below which is to the CL380 documentation from the HP website:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

During POST, you should see what RAID controller is there, and it should tell you "press F6 to configure" or something.

Burt

Thank you for the responses.

The ACU sees the integrated raid controller on the node, but not the CR3500 raid controllers on the shared storage. The information that I have found states that the CR3500 controllers will not be detected by the ACU, just the integrated controllers.

There is a separate CR3500 configuration utility on the smartstart CD that is installed as part of the support software into windows NT, 2000, etc. after the os is installed on node1. The CR3500 utility is a gui program run from the node.

I have downloaded the most current psp for linux RHEL5 and installed it. It is accessible through a localhost port. I can see the cr3500 controllers and attached drives, but have no configuration options.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Here is a quick cut and paste from the HP website about connecting to the CR3500 via a Serial connection. I cannot find anything about how to configure it, the text below is for applying firmware updates so you may have to navigate via the serial connection to see what options you get. Exclude the fact it says NetWare and a Windows OS no higher than NT, just use the Hyperterminal settings:

Code:
For CL1850 or CL380 systems running NetWare follow the installation instructions below. It is important that the steps below be repeated for each controller.

Connect the CR3500 Shared Storage RAID Controller to a system running Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT using the serial connector on the back of the shared storage subsystem.

Use a terminal program, such as HyperTerminal, to connect.

Use the following settings to connect:

Bit per Second = 9600

Data Bit = 8

Parity = None 

Stop Bits = 1

Flow Control = XON / XOFF

Power up the shared storage subsystem, and press [CTRL + C] to abort the controller boot process.

Select option 2 to change the baud rate.

Select option 3 to set baud rate to 38400.

Change the baud rate on the terminal to match the controller's 38400 settings.

Disconnect, then reconnect the terminal service.

Press [ENTER] to re-establish communication with the controller.

Select option 1, and press [ENTER].

Transfer the firmware file as a text file from the terminal service. The entire update should take approximately 15 minutes at a baud rate of 38400.

After the firmware update, select option 2 and change the baud rate to 9600 by selecting option 1.

Change the baud rate to 9600 on the terminal service.

Disconnect, then reconnect the terminal service.

Press [ENTER] to reestablish communication with the controller.

Select option 9 to restart the controller.

After you have updated the firmware on the second controller, power down the power back on the shared storage system. Disregard this step if you have a single controller configuration.
After the installation is completed, you may delete the unpacked files.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Thanks guys, the serial connection with a NT machine worked like a charm. I should have thought of this, but I guess my memory was corrupted with frustration.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back