Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Array 221 and U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturalgen

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2003
US
I have a fairly old system. I have Smart Array 221 with an external scsi connection. The internal is connected to a series of scsi drives.

I recently got a u2 storage - can I connect this to the external scsi connection? Do I need to by another controller board for this?

What used controller do you recommend buying - another 221?

You can use it on the external port, but the 221 is a single channel controller. This means you can't use both the inside and outside at the same time.

Look at getting a 3200 so you can use both channels and will not have to lose any date during the upgrade.

I am sorta in the same boat, wondering does the 3200 use the same cables as the 221 for the internal drive cage hookup? Or do I also have to get a new cable for that? The 3200's I have seen on Ebay look like different connectors than the 221..

Looks like they are both LVD to me!
Protocol:
Wide Ultra2 SCSI, Wide-Ultra SCSI-3, Fast Wide SCSI-2 or Fast SCSI-2
SCSI Electrical Interface:
Low Voltage Differential (LVD)

Protocol:
Wide Ultra2 SCSI
Electrical Interface:
Low Voltage Differential

Yeah, just found out the ones I was looking at didn't have the daughterboard needed to attach internal drives. Now just researching on whether the 2-port daughter card disables both external ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back