Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Armada vs. Toshiba RAM memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoos

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2000
BE
Hello people,

While cleaning up my junk, I found my old Compaq Armada 1700 and it still works like a charm. Unfortunately, it's a bit low on RAM memory (96 mb). After checking what kind of memory it needed, I went through my stuff and found a Toshiba SDRAM bar (128 mb) that might fit.

Now I wonder... would it be worth the effort of putting that memory-exention in or would that be asking for compatibility-problems beyond my belief?

Needless to say, I would be much happier with 160 mb in my machine than the current 96 but if that means I have to give up stability, I'll just leave it as it is.

Well assuming that it't the right "type" of SDRAM, I'd say try it. You can always pull it back out if you have any problems.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The Armada 1700 needs 144-pin PC66 unregistered, non-EEC SODIMM.

The Armada had 32MB or 64MB fixed and a slot for PC66 CL2 memory in 64MB, 128MB or LP256Mb SODIMMs (LP = low profile). I guess that you have a model with 32MB fixed and a 64MB DIMM in the slot.

You need to find out which Tosh the 128MB stick came from or correctly identify the type of memory.

However, as long as the Tosh memory is 144-pin SODIMM, putting in incompatible memory will not actually harm your Armada: it will either work or it won't. Just try it.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back