Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq 35/70 DLT tape drive has write protected light on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmab

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
I'm having a strange problem. I recently put a compaq 35/70 DLT drive in one of my compaq servers. I'm using a Fujifilm 40/80 DLTtapeIV tape. But I'm getting the write protected light come on each time I put a tape in the drive. I've used the cleaning tape and the write protected LED does not come on. I'm using backup exec 7.0 and when I try to place a label on the media it gives an error saying this tape is write protected error, I've checked around and it appears that the 40/80 DLT's can work with this drive. I've changed the tape "protect" tab from "unprotected" to "protected" but this has no impact. It happens for more than 1 tape. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this light comes on for new tapes??? Thanks.

Hi Sigmab

The only suggestion that this is happening may be a problem with the drives f/w,Does the drive work fine with your older tapes?Have you tried to format the tapes..As far as i am aware that DLTIV media is compatible with your drive providing that these tapes have not been used in a different DLT drive like a VS80,If they had been then they would report that it is write protected and that would need degaused,For Info on DLT media Compatibility see here :
It is for HP/Compaq tapes but should be the same:
What I would suggest is to download the HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools from

I would check and see if the firmware needs updating by using the get firmware from web option,If your firmware is out of date then update it to the newest revision,What I then would do is run the tests with the new media and see if it completes and of the read/write tests

Hope this Helps
Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back