Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq 1688 laptop video problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerChucke

Programmer
Nov 13, 2004
US
I have a Compaq Presario 1688 laptop. I was reloading the OS when something went wrong and the reload failed. The LCD reset itself to a resolution that it can't support. The screen is only half its normal size and the top half of the characters are all that can be seen. And, I can't get the OS (Win98SE) to reload because it gets to a certain place and the display gets all wacky. Plus, during POST, I get one long and 2 short beeps. I can not reset the video- I've tried everything. I contacted ATI to get their latest driver. None of them work as they all load from Windows, which I can't get reloaded because of the scrambled screen. I've tried booting a vanilla diskette with an appropriated CONFIG.sys and AUTOEXEC.bat but no joy. Whenever I run the driver programs, I get the error "Program too big to load into memory". And, one of the programs is only 158K big. I thought I could figure this on our but I'm stumped. Any ideas?

To add some to mikker's, connect an external CRT while you reload everything, it leaves a chance to see something. You may need to find the correct Win98 for your laptop in order to use the native screen resolution.

Thanks for your suggestions. To mikker: I have tried reformatting countless times but no joy. To felixc: I have tried connecting an external monitor but again, no joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back