Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Companyweb stops responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

denisbrown

Technical User
Jun 8, 2005
GB
Hi all

I am relatively new to IIS. My employer has a SBS2003 box on which I have activated Sharepoint. It seems to run well for a few weeks, then stops. We just get a "Cannot find server / Page cannot be displayed" error.

I have checked with IISMGR and all services are started, and websites are running. I have also tried IISRESET.

Can anyone shed any light on where I should look next? I can only get this working again with a reboot, but that is not always possible.

Many thanks in advance

Is there anything in the Event Logs? They might contain something that points to the cause of this.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion 7/Windows Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

I can find nothing in the event log that points to an error with IIS or any web service.

Some thing to try

Delete all cookies and temp files on the remote PCs
Make sure that the remote pc has the DNS pinted the the sharepoint server
Run net time to make sure the time on the server and remote pcs match.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Have you tried to restart the DNS server?

That kind of thing happens to me sometimes, I just restart the DNS server and all comes back to life, still don't know what causes it.

DNS - Don't think I have restarted that one. Almost everything else (lol). If it happens again soon I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS

After the last time, one of the MS help sites suggested rerunning the connect to internet wizard. Now I can't access remote email from VPN or wireless clients. I might have to put this as a separate thread,

The next time this happens, type in the ip address rather than the servername... and see if it works. If it does, then try the FQDN name... and also the NetBios name and see if they work. If the Netbios name doesn't work, look at WINS; if the FQDN doesn't work, look at DNS. If the IP address doesn't work, then the issue resides on your server hosting the webpage.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

On the FQDN, what is that server? Is it the servername?

What about the domain.com, is it the one of the webserver domains? Or is it only for servers set as domain controlers?

My server is not a DC, I tried didn't work

Any advice?

Dear All

Thanks for all your suggestions. It happened again yesterday. I tried the IP address and the FQDN but none worked. All got the same server not found error. I tried restarting the DNS and that didn't work. I rebooted overnight and it is running again. Still no errors in the logs about why it stopped.

I did manage to fix the problem about not being able to access the intranet from VPN and wireless clients. I hadn't set the web site to accept all connection instead of block all by default.

any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I have a user that was accessing the companyweb, walked away for lunch, came back and now can not access the page. Everyone else is still able to access. Tried deleting cookies, files, history etc and restarted his computer. No go. Tried FQDN, IP, and just " I can't just restart the server as it is not local and has been known to stall and not reboot on its own. So far he is the only one, but if it can happen to one it can happen to more.

I still haven't sorted this problem. It happened again over Christmas. I still cannot find an error in the event logs. The only way to fix this is a reboot unless someone can come up with an answer.

In my case it is the WHOLE company that loses connection. Email works on the same server, shared folders are still active. It is a definite fault with IIS/Sharepoint.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem??

I had the problem with some computers and connecting and all computers not connecting, and discovered it was a time issue. Since everything in sharepoint indexes items with date and time stamps time is important. I added to the logon script NetTime update I have not had the problem since.

How to implement logon script. faq329-5798

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Hi Beowulf005

I thought that myself as I have had something similar elsewhere, but I have checked the time settings and they are fine. The time is set as you have suggested.

companyweb went down again yesterday and I still cannot find a problem in the event log. All the usual things are there, but there is nothing SPECIFIC that happens at the time the comapnyweb goes down. This is driving me round the bend now.

Any further suggestions?????

Hi,
Have you checked anything on the network side. When the server stops, have you tried pinging from the webserver to another computer. With you mentioning that you cant ping to the IP it tends to make me think that either the network card is having trouble or the switchport that you are connected to is having issues. If you can, try changing to another port in the switch or forcing the card to 100/Full on the server. It may be an issue with auto-sensing.
G8tor

Hi G8tor. Eveything else on the the server works fine. I CAN ping the server, I just can't get the website up.

Shared folders, printers, everything else works. I can remote desktop to it, VNC to it - everything except get the intranet up.

On another point - I have found out that when the web site goes down, we have a problem with our time and attendance system (Timeware). The Timeware PC cannot retreive clockings from the terminal.......

This is REALLY p*ssing me off now.

I am having this very same problem. We have been using company web for about 2 years now and occasionally it will just stop working. The only way I have found to fix it is to reboot. This morning, company web was not working, i restarted every internet related service i could think of, and, it fixed it. Odd, because this hasn't worked in the past, but it did this time. about 3 hours later, it was down again. I restarted all the same services, and to no avail. I can ping companyweb from any pc in the network, companyweb is running in IIS.

I have 2 Dell PowerEdge 1750 servers, and around 40 workstations. DNS is working fine.

Any ideas?

I'm so glad I am not alone!!! This is still hapenning to me fairly regularly.

I have noticed that within a few hours (3 or 4) of companyweb dying the whole system then just grinds to a halt. Exchange dies, PC's go offline, synched folders lose connections etc.

I still haven't figured this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back