Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company work computer cannot access internet at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have 200 work laptops. After adding them to Active Directory, I can connect to the Internet at work just fine. they can connect to the work network through a VPN connection just fine. On the other hand, when I connect any one of them to a broadband connection outside of work, they will not connect to the Internet. I am stumped on this one.

Are they getting DHCP for both IP and DNS servers from somewhere on the Domain? If they are, is whatever broadband your hooking them up to at home set to dish DHCP? Cable is espcially notorious for ONLY giving out 1 address per boot of the cable modem. So if your hooking the laptop directly up to a cable modem, you would have to shutdown the cable modem (power it off completely, not just "standby" mode) wait 1 min, power it back on, then plug the laptop into it and power the laptop on. You would need to do this for each time you wanted to hook a different laptop directly up to a cable modem.
Check ipconfig /all and make sure your getting an IP address.

check Automatic configuration script. In IE tools-internet options-connections- Lan Settings and remove check mark for Automatic configuration script and proxies. That should work but you will have to put them back when you return to the office

Either your machines have a static entry for a proxy server set up or they aren't getting a proper ip address from the broadband connection.

I would in all honesty have a look at creating multiple hardware profiles, one for home use, the other for office use.

Failing that you could always just create a script to release and renew the ip address when the users are at home.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I have a work computer that connects to my home broadband via a router just fine but only after I have removed the proxy settings from the browser. Tools - Internet Options -Connections - LAN Settings then untick the proxy server box.

By default when the clients connect to the VPN, the default route is set to the VPN connection.
You can override this by unticking "use default gateway" in the VPN Properties > Networking > Tcp/ip > advanced.

sorry ignore me misread the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back