Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company Static IP Changed; Email Not Working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMFIT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2006
US
Is there some parameter that needs to be updated in Exchange 2000 to accommodate this? I wouldn't think there is, but our email still isn't working, and Verizon made the change to update the DNS yesterday. So, I've been searching through the Exchange System Manager for possible settings to update, and since I don't see anything refering to our old ip I don't believe exchange is the problem. Could anyone confirm that? And could anyone offer alternative causes for this problem? Our firewall was updated to reflect the new ip and default gateway, and after the router was reset, internet access was restored, but not email. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

I would run the free tests at to get a feel for your current dns state from an internet perspective.

This is a great troubleshooting tool for both DNS and MX issues. also has a lot of good tools.

If you have a router/firewall doing translation (NAT/PAT)that would need to be updated.

Is it incoming or outgoing that isnt working ? or both ?

Dont forgrt to get your ISP to create a reverse DNS for your new IP, this will help with the outgoing

Make sure you don't have an SMTP rule on your firewall that was performing NAT to your Exchange server.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It did turn out that in addition to updating the IP and default gateway in the firewall, there was an additional parameter for the SMTP that needed to be updated as well. Once this was changed the email started pouring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back