Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Companion or . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

voicetec1

Technical User
Jul 15, 2011
US
Hello all.

I have a customer with Option 11 Rls 25.30. They want to install a wireless phone for an employee that wanders alot. I am thinking Companion but never worked with it. Any insight, opinions, suggestions? Much thanks.

You can't get UTAM codes in the US anymore. I thought they were available in Canada, but that was before the Nortel/Avaya merger. Engenius analog cordless sets work fairly well for a couple handsets and have good range. On 25.30 you're limited with what you can do as far as mobile handsets go.

I would definitely go with a retail cordless, on an analog TN, with the same DN as the users digital phone. Figure on paying about $30. Hard to beat, eh?

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

It depends upon what you mean by "wanders a lot" and specifically the distance involved. A retail cordless phone is connected to the same base station all the time so will fade the further you are away from that base station.

Companion was discontinued circa 2000. If you are based in Canada, you MAY be able to buy the components on ebay,... If you are based in the US, you are SOL since UTAM activation codes are no longer available. If you are based outside of US/Canada, there are DECT-based solutions.

OK...Great....Thank You all. I will go with the analog retail choice. If I use several base stations and do the MCR with one number they should be able to hook-flash to a hold condition and pick up at another location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back