Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Companion Network - BCM 400 v3.5 Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRight

Technical User
Sep 23, 2004
CA
A respected associate of mine recently removed a MICS 4.1XC platform in favor of a BCM 400 v3.5. The original MICS affair supported a well-deployed Companion wireless network. Signal coverage was sensational with no complaints from the users over a four year period. After the swap, users began complaining that any attempts to perform page-all (F630) were in vain. All of the C3060 handsets were checked to ensure correct configuration and functionality. Attempts to garner support from ITAS were predictably fruitless - initially. Further attempts garnered wild and unlikely claims that a re-deployment of the Companion network was in order.

Frankly, I believe that ITAS and all of its esteemed levels are on an extended lunch where a BCM 400 v3.5 and a Companion marriage are concerned.

Have any of you composed a BCM 3.5/Companion arrangement? If so, did you experience any functionality issues on the Companion end?

You might have better luck using the BCM forum.
Good luck.

NARSBARS

Don I would not use 3.5 software, upgrade to 3.6!!!!!!
Check capabilities for the companion DN's and make sure paging is set to Y.
Also the companion base stations must be plugged into DSM modules plugged into either bus 6 or 7,
Bus 7 is not available in a 3/5 split
and if your BCM is in full double density mode then you will not be able to support companion at all.
I gather that what you are saying is that the companion handsets are unable to use f630?

David Brillert

Yes Aragon, F630 fails imtermittently. The fact that Nortel seemed compelled to suggest a redeploy to me indicated that they too were stumped.

My associate assures me that the DSM mdules are correct and that he has the unit set for single density. All other noteworthy Capabilities settings are correct.

What does 3.6 address that could be a cause for concern at the 3.5 level - where Companion is concerned?

Without going through all of the change requests I cannot assure you that your problem will go away via software upgrade.
But this has been our only form of defense of Nortel in the past.
3.5 is a horrible version of software.
3.6 incorporate many bug fixes.

David Brillert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back