Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting multiple times while DB open (Access 97)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2000
US
I have a long procedure that I have broken into separate functions.  But I need to compact the DB four times during the procedure.  I have pasted some of the code below to give an idea of what I mean.  I tried the function described above in the 2000 posting.  It didn't work for me.<br>The name of the database is budget.mdb<br><br><br>Private Sub RunUpdate_Click()<br><br>    modDeleteTables<br>    <br>    modImport<br><br>    *Need to compact here<br><br>    modQ1<br>    <br>    *Need to compact here<br><br>End Sub<br><br>Function modDeleteTables()<br><br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "PROJECT") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "PROJECT"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "VENDOR") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "VENDOR"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "EMPLOYEE") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "EMPLOYEE"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "Exprate") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "Exprate"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "TblCDPeta") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "TblCDPeta"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "TblJobExpPeta") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "TblJobExpPeta"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "TblLaborSumPeta") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "TblLaborSumPeta"<br> If ObjectExists(acTable, "TblLbr") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "TblLbr"<br><br>modDeleteTables_Exit:<br>    Exit Function<br><br>modDeleteTables_Err:<br>    MsgBox Error$<br>    Resume modDeleteTables_Exit<br><br>End Function<br><br>Function modImport()<br><br>' Import records from Sema4<br>    <br>    DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "FoxPro 2.6", "d:\Access\Temp", _<br>        acTable, "Exprate.dbf", "Exprate", False<br>    <br>modImport_Exit:<br>    Exit Function<br><br>modImport_Err:<br>    MsgBox Error$<br>    Resume modImport_Exit<br><br>End Function<br><br>Function modQ1()<br><br> DoCmd.OpenQuery "QEMPLOYEE", acNormal, acEdit   'Make EMP NEW<br>  DoCmd.Rename "EMPLOYEE", acTable, "EMPLOYEENEW" 'RENAME EMPLOYEE<br>  'DoCmd.OpenQuery "QJobExpAppnd", acNormal, acEdit<br>  <br>  If ObjectExists(acTable, "JOBEXPAC") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "JOBEXPAC"<br>  If ObjectExists(acTable, "TIMEARC") Then DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "TIMEARC"<br>  <br>modQ1_Exit:<br>    Exit Function<br><br>modQ1_Err:<br>    MsgBox Error$<br>    Resume modQ1_Exit<br><br>End Function

Sorry, don't know what &quot;the function above&quot; refers to, these threads do not stay in the same order. It's generally better to add follow-up questions to the original post if you want people to be able to reference them.<br><br>I'm not sure what your problem is as you don't write a specific question. If you are trying to reduce the number of compacts, you might re-order your program flow so that you delete all objects no longer needed at the <i>end</i> of the procedure, instead of the beginning.Then you can just compact once at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back