Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting MDE Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimA

MIS
Sep 21, 1999
US
How can I compact a MDE Access database upon either retrieving or exiting the application so that the compaction is transparent to the user? As the database grows performance is obviously affected.

FYI, version 2000 compacts automatically when the user exists, according to the documentation. I always use these features as an excuse to my boss to upgrade...

Compacting is an administrative function that you should plan on doing on a regular basis. Schedule a time when you know that people will be off the system. Remember that the database needs to be opened with the "exclusive" option.

p.s. if you want to keep the file as small as possible, compact twice. MS documentation states that on the first pass, items are marked for deletion and on the second pass they are deleted. strange...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back