Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting Error...Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelloshot1

Technical User
Aug 5, 2001
US
Hello All,

I'm running an Access 97 database that is used for staff information as well as tracking time & attendance. We have over 1300 staff members already in the database and are adding more almost daily.
The problem I am having is with compacting. The database had grown to 978MB. When I try to compact the file I get a message that says I have no read permission and should have the administrator assign them before trying again. Well I am the administrator. I've checked the permissions and everything seems to be in order.
What now???

Thanks for any help you can offer!
JelloShot

Hi:

Question? Is the database on the network or is it on your local hardrive? If its on the network you may have to have your network admin give you rights to the folder in which it resides. The other thing you may want to look at is if your on Novell you may be able to right click on the database and go to properties and adjust the read only check box?

Let me know if this helps? I had this same problem some time ago and htis worked for me

Rich

Hi Rich,

The database is on a network and yes we do use Novell. As far as I know I have read/write/delete privilages for the folder, but I will double check. I'll also check into the right click to adjust the read only priv. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,
Mary

Hi again,

Well I checked evrything that you sugested. I do have all the correct rights needed. Another tried compacting another database that we use and had no problem. And I have the same rights to both.

I finally split it into a frontend/backend, hoping that would solve the problem. The backend is now 640MB and can be compacted without trouble. The frontend is still 978MB and I still can't compact it! What can be done???

JelloShot (Mary)

What you might try is to import all of the front end forms/reports/modules/etc into a new database. Link in all your tables/queries, compact it and send this out as a new front end.

Also, have you tried bringing the whole pie onto your pc and compacting it there?

I had the same problem. One thing that worked for me was to wait until everyone was out. Then after compacting it I still received the error, however if you look in the folder where it was compacted you will see a "new" dbase usually called db1 or something like that. This in fact is the compacted dbase. Now all you have to do is rename it and archive the other dbase until you have tested it out and are sure it contains everything. I hope this helps but let me tell you I am not 100% sure it will work for you.
Steve

Thanks All,
I tried compacting again and there was a new db1.mdb. There also was a Paste Error table in it. The error message it contained said that me and another user were tryingto change the same information at the same time so the proccess was stopped. I am positive there was no one else in it at the time However, after checking the idb file it showed me logged in twice! go figure! Anyway, after testing I decided to rename and run with it. No problems so far and I do still have the "old" one as backup if there is.

I have another question posted if any of you want to tackle that one :)
Thanks again for all your help......
Mary (JelloShot1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back