Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting Database Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

doberfan

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have tried to compact a database and get the following error messages, (The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.) and (The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'MSysCompactError'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.). This database resides on a network with multiple users. I have a problem compacting the database on the network as well as my C:\ drive. I am using Access 97 and do not have a problem compacting other databases.

First I'd attempt to have your network admin check to see if the server thinks someone is still in the database. If so, have him kill any connection to your database and try then to compact or try the repair utility first and then compact. Sometimes indexes can get corrupt and lead to some strange error messages. But it seems your database still thinks there is a user inside.

I made a copy of this database to a compact disk, deleted it from the network drive. Then copied it from the compact disk to the local drive. Once I did all of this I still received the same error messages. I loaded this database at home, where I have Access 2000, and was able to compact the database without a problem.

Still have .ldb file ?
Delete it...

TIA

P>S Always Compact !!!

Occasionally in A97 you run into this problem.
This is usually tied to an error in the MSysAccessObjects
table.
The only easy fix is to import all into a fresh database
and reset the startup options.

Q: when you used A2K to compact/repair it, did it convert or just perform the operation?

If your LAN is running NT and you have group "Power User" or above rights, you can fix the database on your C: drive and copy it back onto the LAN, forcing a rewrite over the original. The only effect this will have is force the users who currently have it open to close the app and reopen. Be careful though, under Win2K Pro and NT5 I have had this cause an indexing error which you can quickly fix by recompacting.

Rhonin
"too many questions, too little time..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back